Can human beings survive without water? Perhaps it would not be a crime to answer this question straight from the beginning. No, we cannot! It is not logically accepted to say we are water, but considering the fact that the partner with the largest shares in a business owns the business, maybe we can say that and get away with it. The human body is made up of 70% water. That alone settles it, because if you remove 70% of a business’ shares, you have killed the business. A man cannot live being totally dry. The blood contains water and it is essential to life.
Having made the point clear, let’s get into some scientific explanation about how and why this is so.
- Continuing on our explanation of the first point, water is strategically distributed all over the body including the brain. So before we talk about the water that is outside the body, let’s talk about the one inside. The human body parts including the brain and blood are majorly composed of water. Which means water is more than essential for proper functioning of the body organs and it is needed to keep a person alive.
- Water also keeps the body temperature regulated. Why are oceans always cool and desserts always hot? It is not the sun, but the amount of water present at the location. This is the same as the human body. Sometimes when you are dehydrated, you feel hot. This is because water helps to keep your temperature balanced. Whether you drink it or pour it on your body, it can affect your temperature.
- Water is not just contained in the body to occupy space. It actually contributes immensely to the operations of the body organs. The liver, kidney, intestines and other functional parts of the body need water to work well.
- Drinking water also helps your brain function better. It aids concentration and retention. Many people drink water while going through difficult decision making or problem solving situations. A lot of educational institutions believe in this phenomenon and as a result, provide water for their students during examinations and tests. Doctors also recommend that one drinks a lot of water every day, before, between and after meals.
- Water has an important role in glycolysis. Glycolysis is the energy production mechanism used by the human body to keep life in the body. This involves the complete process of glucose oxidation, which in Chemistry is represented as this formula: CBHI206 * 602 ÷ 6H20 ~ 12H20 * 6C0
Just as you can see in the formula, 6 whole molecules of water are taken in for every molecule of glucose that is oxidized to water and CO2. Asides the prominent six molecules of water, water also produce the oxygen that makes up the CO2 which re-oxides FADH2 and NADH.
There are many more reasons why man can not do without water. How bad do you think the world and the people in it will smell if there was no water for anyone to bath? Water is as important as oxygen.